Donegal County Council Logo
Home > Services > Fire Service > Fire Safety at Home > Fire Safety In The Garage & Home Workshops

Fire Safety In The Garage & Home Workshops

Garages are prime places for fires to start. This is because many people store both combustible materials and fire starters in their garages. While it's better that you keep these items in your garage rather than inside your house, it is vital that you store them properly and in an organized fashion. Not only are they detected less quickly than fires that begin in the house, they often spread more quickly and more violently. Some tips to improve fire safety in the garage;


  • Always store paint and other flammable liquids in their original labeled containers with tight fitting lids.
  • Never store propane cylinders indoors. They are sturdy enough to stay outside, and the risk of them catching fire indoors is just too great. Propane is highly combustible, and a tank full of it can quickly cause a deadly explosion.
  • Always clean up any spill that occurs in the garage.
  • Keep heaters and boilers free from storage.
  • Store petrol in the correct containers recommended by the suppliers and in very small amounts.
  • Never start a lawnmower immediately after refueling. Move appliance away from petrol fumes.
  • Allow all BBQ equipment to cool down before storing in the garage.
  • Do not smoke in the garage.
  • Install a smoke detector in your garage and ensure that a fire extinguisher is easily accessible in the event of a fire occurring

Rate this Page

Select an option below

Map Services

Map Portal

  • winterweather Image
  • NWGreenway network icon
  • Donegal Tourism Logo
  • Rennet Image
  • NPPR Logo
  • Donegal Gathering Logo
  • NRDO European Project Logo
  • Public Art logo
  • Regional Cultural Centre logo
  • Spaceial logo
  • IrishWater
  • LEO